Friday, January 4, 2008

The fruit for January, 2008 is PAPAYA.

This is the first time i am participating in an event, and I hope you will like what i am sharing.


I love papaya as a fruit, which i normally have it with a bit of chaat masala and lime juice and I relish it big time. But after being married to a Bong, I was served various papaya dishes.... which I could not relate to simply because I come from a panju family and in our family, Papaya has always been treated like a fruit and not as something which one can make a main dish with.
Anyhow, I tried the dish and loved it and on a later stage tried my hands with raw papaya, and the results have been pretty good.


Here goes dish one. I don't know what to call it, so I name it 'Pepe Paturi' (papaya in Bengali is called pepe)


- 1 small raw papaya - grated

- 1 tbsp oil

- a small portion of Kaala Jeera /onion seeds/ kalongi

- 1/2 cup coconut milk/ fresh grated coconut.

- salt

- a pinch or two sugar

- a pinch turmeric

- green chillies


In a pan, heat some oil, once hot enough, add green chilies, then add kaala jeera. Then add the grated raw papaya with salt, sugar and turmeric. Cover the lid and put it on simmer for about 15 mins, stirring it occasionally. After 15 mins, add coconut milk or grated fresh coconut. Stir it nicely and let all the water evaporate.
And Tahda the dish is ready.
Serve it hot with rice or roti or poories. Its yummm!

This one is going for Nags 'AFAM - January' 08. Papaya'



Another very tasty dish out of Papaya is, the Raw papaya salad. You can click here to get the recipe. It's always a hit.
There is another dish, which more like a chutney, which I will share with you in my next post.
But people 'Papaya' rocks. Thanks Nags for nominating Papaya as the fruit of the month.
Cheers!!!

2 comments:

amna said...

thank you so much for your sweet entry :) yours is the first :)

hope you see more comments from you on my recipes..

Anonymous said...

2. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Tote Bags[/url] In addition, there are good deals (on both the primary and secondary market) on Pechersk and Minskaya Riverbank.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose outlet[/url] Emyxtzurv
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora store[/url] Hidxmeqog [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose outlet[/url] whypmovxx