Friday, December 21, 2007

When the Highest In the order comes home

Well, I visited Goa twice during the last month and had a blast. And i got to chat up with all my colleagues in an informal space. I liked some, disliked some, bonded with some and took home some friendships. I have always been fond of singing and organising singing sessions at my place. While in Goa fortunately i happened to get into the coach, taking us to Panjim for shopping, where all the Senior most were present. I like a little pup went and sat at last seat and kept low profile but slowly, everyone got into a mood and started singing and i couldn't hold myself....so all said and i done, i started singing too and realised that this particular gang loves the simplicities and would be great to have home once.
So, once back in office, I started planning and finally invited these senior people, not because they are senior to me professionally but because I clicked with them and shared a comfort level too, to call them over to my house. After the dates being shifted many times, 18Th Dec (unfortunately a weekday) was decided upon. I was excited but as soon as the date was nearing I started getting nervous, I have thrown many many parties but this one was different coz, I wasn't sure what to offer in terms of food, drinks, snacks etc etc.
There is very dear friend of mine who always has beautiful stuff to offer and the spread is awesome. So I called her and talked. My hubby wanted to me to offer continental and I was keen on Indian (tested and tried never fails), but finally gave in and decided on continental.
So, here is the list of all i made and their recipes:

Snacks:
Corn Tarts (My fave)
Salamis on crust
Salad with curd dip
and some of the ready made stuff like cheese, olives etc.

Main Dishes
Green Rice Salad
Raw Papaya salad (veg + non-veg)

Veg Pasta in Tomato Sauce
Potato and onions in Cheese
Mashed Potato
Chicken Pasta in white sauce
Prawns in cream mustard
And for the meetha Brownie with ice cream.

And Here goes what went into these dishes:

Green Rice Salad
Ingredients: 8 tbsp cooked rice
1 green capsicum
100 gm blanched beans
100 gm cooked peas
100 gm torn spinach leaves
100 gm sliced spring onions
2 tbsp shredded garden herbs

Dressing
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp oregano
Pinch mustard powder
Salt and pepper

Method: Combine salad ingredients together. Whisk together items for dressing. Pour over rice salad. Chill and serve.

Easy isn't it?

Next:
Raw Papaya Salad:
Ingredients
2 cups grated raw papaya
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp fried peanuts
8-10 cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tbsp Red chili sauce
Salt
1 tbsp brown sugar

Mix all ingredients and serve chilled.

For Non-veg salad.
I took some frozen prawns, marinated it with salt and red chili powder and then sauteed it in a bit of olive oil and after cooling them, I added it in the above salad.

Now, the main dishes, Pasta we all know and it was the simple recipe that picked.
One dish which i experimented with was, prawns in cream mustard.

Frozen prawns, marinated in salt and red chili powder.
Green of spring onions
Fresh cream
Tomato sauce
Mustard powder
Oil

Take a pan, heat some oil (you may use cooking oil or olive oil), saute the marinated prawns, add the green of spring onions, saute. Add mustard powder, add fresh cream. Mix well, now add in a tbsp of tomato sauce, mix again. Let it come to a boil. Serve hot with rice or with boiled pasta which I did. This one was a hit.

As per the guests requests, the eve was supposed to get over at 11.30, but guess we finally packed them all at 2.30 am and trust me the next day was crazy with the spirits still moving in in the body and the head was...phew....but the eve was fun and every one loved it...so I achieved what I was looking for!!

If you need the recipe for any other dish mentioned above, please do let me know...till the next blog have a cool X-mas and very Happy New Year!

No comments: